1. One of my fondest memories of 2008 was:
The feeling I got boarding a plane with a one-way ticket to Bangkok from London.
Other highlights include being crowned Hotwire’s 100m sprint champion (read it and weep Masih), chilling in Sicily with my brother and the Hotwire away-weekend in Paris (the Algerians in Sacre-Coeur!).
2. One of the happiest moments for me in 2008 was:
The birth of my son, Tobias, on 18 October 2008. A load of cute photos here.
3. The best album I downloaded/bought in 2008 was:
The Stanton Session by Stanton Warriors. Not new in 2008 but highly recommended nevertheless. They have the Midas touch.
4. The best book I read in 2008 was:
Struggled with books this year but Danny Wallace’s ‘Friends Like These’ was enjoyable and I am still getting through Sir Ranulf Fiennes’ autobiography ‘Mad, Bad And Dangerous to Know’ and ‘Twenty Something’ by Ian Hollingshead.
5. The best movie I watched in 2008 was:
‘I Am Legend’ – released late 2008 but I watched it in 2009, I think.
6. The most beautiful place I visited in 2008 was:
Difficult to choose between Barcelona, Paris, Sicily, Chiang Mai and other Thai cities – a great year for travelling!
7. The best quote I heard/received in 2008 was:
There have been a few but one springs to mind as it is useful for life in general...
“Just don’t fuck up” – from a senior boss on my first day at Hotwire. I’m not sure I kept my side of that one!
8. The best gadget I bought for myself in 2008 was:
My laptop, Acer Aspire 2930Z. The days of desktops are behind me.
9. The best website I came across in 2008 was:
10. The luckiest moment for me in 2008 was:
I can’t think of any specific events of great fortune but I survived 2008, a year that got pretty crazy at times!
11. A new food/drink I discovered that I really enjoy:
12. The best restaurant I dinned at in 2008:
Esarn Kheaw, Shepherd’s Bush, London – the best Thai in the capital and my first taste of authentic Thai food.
13. The best bargain I picked up in 2008:
14. The best blog post I wrote in 2008 was:
It was only born in October so far too young for highlights.
15. A blog I discovered in 2008 which I highly recommend is:
The Lost Boy was the first Thailand ex-pat blog I came across. Although Matt has moved on from Thailand his blog remains a recommended read.
16. The best Xmas present I received in 2008 was:
Thais don’t really do Christmas but the photo of my family back home in the UK was a favourite.
17. My 2008 addiction was:
My BlackBerry – RIP, it departed when I left my job in London. Gone but not forgotten, we will be reunited some day.
18. A goal in 2008 that I did not accomplish:
19. But that’s okay, because I did accomplish:
Finally started a blog after two years of um-ing, err-ing and lost thoughts.
In other news...I moved to Thailand, but we know that already, right?
20. The website I visited most in 2008:
iGoogle, my personal window to the internet.